Friday, August 6, 2010

Vacation Reading

Twenty Years Later by Alexander Dumas

The second book in the Three Muskateers series. The fearsome four find eachother after twenty years apart and rejoin their conquest for adventure and gentlemanly duty.

D’Artagnan has a much mor

e defined role in this story. His Gascon sense of humor and bravery combine with a more mature mind and strong wit, pushing him into the role of de facto leader of the group. It changes the dynamics of the band of muskateers and makes d’Artangnan a more interesting character than he was in the first book.

I definitely feel a need to brush up on my mid 17th century French and English history because I found myself a bit lost in some areas of the plot. I understood most references to major historical events but am afraid I missed a lot of the minute details that might have held the book together a bit better for me and kept my enthusiasm up. Some of this was also due to the length of the book. It didn’t hold my attention quite as well as the first book because it is just a bit too long and complicated. I didn’t find myself staying up late at night to read one more chapter but I did enjoy the book overall. I still want to read the next four books but I will definitely need a break.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

Short, fun and spooky with great imagery and descriptions.


I'm reading Dracula now and LOVING it so far.

0 comments:

Post a Comment