Monday, January 18, 2010

Blink - The Power Of Thinking Without Thinking

By Malcolm Gladwell
I've been reading a lot of Gladwell in the last year and I'm definitely a fan of his work. This book wasn't as good as The Tipping Point or What The Dog Saw, but it was still interesting. The main topic is rapid cognition thinking or relying on first impressions and our adaptive unconscious. As a graphic designer I always find it frustrating to explain to a client why one design is so much better than another. I can't explain why it's better, I just KNOW. It's part of the gift of being an artist- that part of you that just feels it when it's right. This book made me think about how much I use that unconscious part of my brain on a daily basis. Pretty interesting stuff. I have one book left to read of Gladwell's. I'm looking forward to Outliers.

1 comments:

Utah Dive Instruction said...

You should read Outliers if you haven't yet- it is really interesting.

Post a Comment