Sunday, May 3, 2009

Big Ol Book List

I haven't written anything about any of the books I've read in the last few months for some reason. I haven't been reading as much as I would like (sadly the tv has sucked me in when I'm feeling nauseated from pregnancy but I plan to change that now that I'm feeling a little better.) I have read a few dumb books a some great ones. I'm going to concentrate mostly on the good ones because nobody cares what books I thought were dumb.

The Tipping Point- It's a business book the same way Freakanomics (a book I LOVED) is about economics. The book basically talks about how to start an epidemic in your business but it talks about everything from the broken window theory, selling ipods, or the aids epidemic to how painting subway cars in New York City supposedly dropped the crime rate almost overnight. It was fascinating and well written and I recommend it to anyone. I'm not sure how it applies to my business but still a great read. I want to read some of Malcolm Gladwell's other books.

Wicked by Gregory Maguire- my husband bought this for me for my birthday in November because I had just been to see the musical in LA with my friend Lovely L. I absolutely loved the musical. It's hilarious and creative and the music and design is fabulous. The book is creative and has some great plotlines but it does not have the same spirit as the musical. It definitely didn't make me smile the way the musical did. If you aren't easily shocked it's an interesting book. The details are rather dark and twisted. It won't be one I read again but I'm not totally horrified by it either.




Nutrition For A Healthy Pregnancy by Elizabeth Somer- I actually read this for the first time almost five years ago when we first started talking about kids. I spent a year reading pre-pregnancy books and nutrition books to try and get my body at it's healthiest. This is one of the books I have packed up several times and hid from myself a couple years ago. I finally had Two Fish bring it out for me and it's a great resource. Great lists of foods for specific vitamins, plans for exercise and healthy weight gain, and a reminder of the food pyramid and how it fits in to overall health.


I started reading parenting books in November. We were newly approved for adoption and trust me, having some sort of psychological preparation for a new baby is really important in adoption- you almost need a psychological pregnancy time. There is a reason women are pregnant for 9 months and go through a lot of changes to prepare. Part of my preparation is reading a lot. I read a lot of adoption books the first time but I've really lost interest in them since I've been through the adoption process before. It's funny that all through December I was doing my preparation and I was pregnant and didn't know. Anyway- that may be too much information but here are the parenting books I've been reading and liked.

Playful Parenting- Great ideas. I love that it made me lighten up a lot. There are so many small issues that don't need to be negative. There are so many hard things that can be reversed and made fun. The most interesting thing the book talks about is how kids use play to work out their own inner struggles and emotions. they don't talk things out like adults- they play them out. I've definitely noticed this with Red Fish after reading the book. One night she didn't want to go to bed and I sat on my bed with her while she pretended to put me to bed over and over. After she had worked out her frustrations and made herself feel more in power she went to bed without a peep. Another time I had been away for a couple days and when I came home Red Fish spent a solid hour putting a blanket over my head and ripping it off and finding me. She was working out her fear and frustration of my leaving her. Playful Parenting really reminded me to take the time to play with Red Fish and find out what is going on in her little mind. A great book- slightly repetitive and probably could have been a little shorter.

The No Cry Sleep Solution- Every kid goes through cycles in their sleep patterns and this book has given Two Fish and I some great ideas on how to handle some of those issues. My sister in law- L had recommended the newborn version of the book to me but Red Fish was a great newborn sleeper. Since she has entered toddlerhood we have had several speed bumps in the sleeping area. This book has been a great reference to handle the different situtations and helped to resolve them quickly. I love books that don't dictate one way of doing things but instead gives you ideas to test on your own.


Love And Logic For Early Childhood- recommended by my friend Cari. I LOVE this book. I'm not very close to being able to totally apply it but I like the overall philosophies. I love the idea of a love account that you either put deposits or withdrawls on. Everytime you pay attention to your child, focus on them, give affection, make them laugh etc. you put a deposit in. Everytime you are short with them or upset them is a withdrawl. Both are bound to happen over the course of a day but the key is to make sure you put more deposits than withdrawls on your relationship.

I think one of the hardest things as a parents is allowing your kids to struggle or be hurt by a situation but kids will never learn to deal with hard things unless you let them practice with the small stuff. This book really encourages you to let your kids learn things for themselves instead of alway bossing them around.

The book also helps to keep threats and screaming out of a learning situation. Instead help the child use logic and learn consequences in a loving way. I highly reccomend the book- there is a whole series of them.

So there is my big list of recent reads. (At least the ones that are worth talking about.)

2 comments:

Blogful said...

I am putting several of these on hold...right...NOW!
Do book reviews more. And movies?? I think we have very similar taste.

Anonymous said...

These recommendations look awesome - I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of "Playful Parenting". Thanks for passing along your review!

And thanks for the button support - you're the first to get your name in the drawings 2 more times, and I'll cross my fingers for you too!

- Lauren @ SuperMom Central

Post a Comment