Monday, May 18, 2009

Fun Art Projects

This was such a fun nursery project yesterday. We taped a piece of contact paper to the table for every kid and stuck on a tag with their name on it. We had foam shapes, shredded paper, and fuzzy balls for them to stick all over their paper. They really loved the shredded paper (I literally ran it through my shredder) and got pretty crazy with it. Then we stuck a larger piece of contact paper over the top of everything and sealed the sides. They were carrying these around like they were made of gold. I think feathers would be a fun addition to the supplies. We have a ton of stuff left over so I'm sure we will be making a lot of these.
We bought some new Crayola twistable slick sticks and they are so cool! Red Fish doesn't have to apply much pressure and she gets a ton of color. She LOVES them. We spent all morning coloring with them. The only problem is that they are not washable which scares me a little. I would only recommend them for use with supervision. It was interesting because when Red Fish usually draws with crayons or chalk she has only been drawing straight lines. With the slick sticks she was drawing in multiple directions. I think it's because they go on the paper so smoothly. After she had covered a few papers she started getting things off the fridge to color including the butterfly we made in nursery a few weeks ago. It is just a paper with some foam stickers and pipe cleaner antenaes. We also stapled on a straw for her to hold onto when she is flying it around the room.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Those turned out great! We will have to try some of those!

I just had seen something similar to the contact paper one on a blog the other day. They were learning about turtles, and the teacher cut contact paper in the shape of a simple turtle. She had also cut out small squares of tissue paper in various shades of green, and the kids just stuck the tissue to the contact paper. The teacher drew on eyes and mouth with a black marker. Then they could hang them in the window for sun-catchers.

Nortorious said...

Is RF manually dextrous enough to twist the twistables? If my 2 year old learned to twist things I could kiss my toothpaste goodbye.

Lei said...

That first project you posted can also be done with foam shapes in (a little) water... color it with food colroign if you'd like... place in a ziploc and seal it good with glue, or reinforce edges with packing tape. :) Fun stuff!

Joanna said...

Ethan loves the slick sticks- it's all about the texture for him. I love the contact paper project, I wonder if I have some lying around somewhere.... thanks for the idea!

Post a Comment