Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sisters


Red Fish has had a hard time with this baby stuff. She hasn't been sleeping well for a couple weeks. She is really really mad that mommy hasn't been home for a few days. This is the longest I've ever been away and Red Fish does not appreciate it. She has come to visit several times and she won't look at me or sit by me. She has been slightly interested in the baby. She's given her a few kisses and pats. Coming to the hospital is hard because there are too many rules and too many no nos. Too many buttons she isn't allowed to push, the floor is dirty, the garbage cans are everywhere and gross and Mommy is being a little uptight. So today we tried to make her feel extra special. Two Fish dressed her in her special "Big Sister" shirt and we made a really big deal about her coming to visit. Then just when things were unraveling a bit Aunt L showed up with some cousins. Things went much much better today. Hopefully the adjustment will get easier at home.

I'm supposed to take a couple walks up and down the halls so I've been taking Red Fish with me. First so we could have a few moments just she and I (so maybe she wouldn't be so mad with me) but then yesterday we took the baby. We have to wheel her around because you aren't allowed to carry the babies in the hospital. Red Fish LOVES pushing the baby around. It was the first thing she wanted to do when she got here today. She has to take all of the balloons from the room with us as well so we are quite a sight coming down the hall.
Red Fish has been wanting to hold the baby but she didn't want anyone to help her so it wasn't working out well. I kept trying to get her to sit next to me but she wouldn't. Finally we got her to lay on my hospital bed and then we set New Fish on her. It was a hit! A little bit of sister magic. Red Fish thought it was really funny to laugh and make New Fish bounce up and down on her tummy a little. She kept patting her head and giving her kisses. Red Fish is very interested in all of New Fish's tiny parts and really loves her hair.
New Fish was getting a little freaked out by the flash but Red Fish couldn't get enough pictures taken. She kept signing for us to take more. She was so thrilled to hold New Fish. It was so sweet. I was getting all teary eyed.

6 comments:

Blogful said...

darling darling. What cute girls you have. If she's into the helper mode, try sticking the baby diapers down and her level so she can get them for you and putting a stool near the changing table etc, so she can see and "help."

The Clem Family said...

Too funny! I love to watch the older sibs with the new babes....it's quite the entertainment. Just wait 'till New Fish gets old enough to watch Red Fish and wants to do everything she's doing. That will be just as entertaining. I'm still anticipating the day when I can come see you guys!

Mindi said...

This totally brings me back to when I had Ava!(with the whole c-section thing.) It was a hard transition when I had Caleb-it wasn't just me and Lauren anymore! I hated that-I would feel so guilty at times. It will be so much better when you get to go home. Looks like red fish is already a great big sister!

Linnea said...

The last picture is adorable! I'm glad Red Fish is adjusting well--it's such a big change for her!! How sweet that she wants to hold New Fish!

Nancy said...

Im so glad you guys are doing good. Life with two is crazy, Im sure. But they are both so cute!! Cant wait to read about all the adventures to come. Congrats on the new addition and Im glad delivery is over for you!!

Richinsrock said...

Way cute! I love love love when they finally begin to enjoy their new siblings. They become extra helpful at home, sometimes a little to helpful, but it is so much fun to watch. Good luck at home, let me know if you need anything.

Post a Comment