Monday, September 7, 2009

I've Created A Monster

An art monster to be exact. I've been trying to encourage Red Fish to be interested in art but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The last couple weeks have escalated from daily drawing sessions and playdough to around the clock art. I'm thrilled she wants to do something creative. I do want to encourage as much creativity as possible but I underestimated the work. I will have to try and keep more easy projects on hand so I won't be stuck staring at the cabinet while she begs for something to make.

This weekend Red Fish has been more sick than ever before (which really isn't saying much because she is just a really healthy child.) She's had a sinus infection and a fever and hasn't been a very happy girl. It's been kind of a rough 4 days for all of us. The only thing that has kept Red Fish somewhat happy or entertained is art project after art project. She knows where the cabinet full of arty stuff is and she spends half her day pointing out what she wants next. We're starting to run out of supplies. We've made more contact paper collages than I can count. We've used every drawing material and pad of stickers we own. We've used paint. We've painted the porch with water. Honestly I'm running out of ideas for the supplies we keep on hand. I've decided our arsenal is pretty sad. (At least the supplies I'm willing to let Red Fish use. I'm not quite ready to break out the oils and canvas.) Luckily I made a big order yesterday and more art supplies should be arriving soon. I don't think this fascination with creation is a passing phase. I have a big piece of plastic I'm going to put in the basement with an old table so we have someplace to make messy things in the coming colder weather. Discount school supply has some awesome stuff on clearance right now and you can find coupons for additional savings here. We bought some fun stamping stuff, watercolors and water color paper, and pre inked foam brushes. We usually buy our crafty supplies like pipe cleaners, stickers etc. at all a dollar.
Yesterday Red Fish spent nearly an hour creating this masterpiece. We've been using a lot of big sheets of newsprint because Red Fish likes big paper and a pad of newsprint is super cheap. I bought a role of paper from Ikea last week that we are going to start using as well. She used paint pens, crayons, slick stix, and foam stickers. Then she had me help her glue on google eyes and staple on some pipe cleaners. (It scared me that a one year old wants to use a stapler.) She just couldn't seem to work in enough supplies. She went back to the cabinet over and over to look for more things to add. She tried to figure out how to get the playdough on there but couldn't manage it.
I knew Red Fish was feeling a little better today when she started dressing up. We've been reorganizing and cleaning out our basement and closets so she has found all sorts of fun things to play with. Plus she got this fun magic wand my cousin made her. (Actually the tux jacket and cumber bun are from my cousins wedding too.) Red Fish was oh so pleased when we told her she was magical with the wand and magician get up.

5 comments:

Richinsrock said...

You have got to be the cutest mom ever. I need to do something like that in my basement so the kids won't want to just watch tv when winter hits.

The Studes said...

She has quite the personality. I can't wait to see her around the fish on wednesday!

Blogful said...

I think I have been blessed with only about 1% of your creativity, but my girls like sticker books and water colors and we buy coloring books ten at a time. Jane loves for me to print off those preschool tracing the line pages and maybe this is slightly too old for "A," but Jane love scissors and cutting up pieces of paper. We have a strictly "only on paper" rule, but scissors are hours of fun.

The Clem Family said...

You seriously put moms like me to shame. I'm just to ornery to deal with the mess that comes with activities like this. With my kids, half of it ends up on the floor and I'm the one stuck cleaning it up. But, you're good to let her expand her creativity like that. Not only that, but you're making great memories.

Linnea said...

I love Discount School Supply! But I can't even begin to keep enough supplies for my kids!!

Post a Comment