Monday, October 4, 2010

Upcycle

I'm really starting to crack myself up because I used to be such a sewing/crafting snob. I frowned upon it and considered myself a "real artist." Now I can't stop. I'm totally a closet crafter. Yes, I still do a ton of graphic design but I don't feel like blogging about that much. I wish I could make time to paint and sculpt but for now I feel like that part of me is dedicated to my kids right now.

I love clothes and would love to have a new wardrobe for every season. I'm also a cheapskate and could never justify the cost even if I could afford it. A few months ago, my husband and I were walking through Anthropologie. I loved everything. But it got me thinking about how maybe I could alter some clothing and make it look Anthropologized. I may still be pretty off the mark but I decided to try anyway. I like one of a kind things anyway. So I went through my closet and made a stack of worn out, seldom worn or slightly boring clothes. Here is my first attempt at making them exciting for me again. This was a simple sweater before that I liked but haven't worn a lot. I took a maternity shirt that was worn out and cut it up to make ruffles and flowers.
I know it looks especially fab over my jammies.

I'm more than slightly obsessed with making fabric flowers right now. It's getting ridiculous. I've made 25 this week. Most of them were simple ones from felt that I'm making into Christmas gifts.

6 comments:

Somers said...

Hey, if you need a clothing up-cycling buddy.... I've been thinking about this alot lately too. Have you read the "New Dress a Day" blog? http://www.newdressaday.com It is pretty fabulous and inspirational. Oh, and have you a tutorial on making fabric flowers?

One Fish said...

I would love an upcycling buddy. We should let the kids play while we sew.

Joanna said...

I'm so proud you've come over the the dark side... :)

ps- that sweater is fab.

The Clem Family said...

That's awesome!

Lei said...

Closet crafter - ahahahaha! Just don't use the word craft and then you won't be streotyped. ;)

I LOVE what you did with the sweater. It is SO YOU.

Richinsrock said...

It's beautiful!

Post a Comment