Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hamlet

Last month I read Hamlet and then last weekend Two Fish took me to see the play. Horray for dates to the theatre. We got season tickets (and pretty much the worst seats in the house because they are cheap) and I couldn't be more thrilled about it. I absolutely love having a planned date night for the month. I love going to see plays. It makes me feel cultured and fancy. Like my brain hasn't been completely rotting since college.

Two Fish says there are two kinds of people. Those who speak Shakespeare and those who don't. He didn't really like the play. I loved it. I like all of the classic lines, the tragic love story, the ghost story and murder mystery. I even love that everyone dies. The actors who played Hamlet and Polonius were especially great. The costumes and scenery were very blah. It was trying to be Victorian hipster but fell pretty flat.

One thing I read in the program notes that I thought was really interesting- I guess it was really shocking in Shakespeare's day to have a revenge drama where the main character has a hard time killing. They said it would be like going to see a Bond movie and finding out that James Bond just doesn't feel up to going after the bad guy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment