Thursday, March 25, 2010

How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk


By Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish

This book is officially the best parenting book I have read. I love it more than I liked Love & Logic. I'm a little overwhelmed at how many ideas I want to implement into the way I communicate with my family.

The writing style is clear, concise and well supported. I like the down to earth tone of the book. The authors offer plenty of suggestions, tips, techniques and examples of how to implement ideas without resorting to disrespectful, harmful or fear-based methods. Practical everyday parenting and communication issues are addressed in a sympathetic and respectful way that encourage children to make choices and think through problems. Family members are encouraged to hear each other clearly and use humor to respond to many situations. I really think the parenting ideas in this book can help bring and keep my family closer together.

Every topic is addressed from multiple angles instead of a one size fits all approach. My favorite parenting books are full of ideas rather than dictated plans of actions. A paint by the numbers approach to life has never worked for me.

This is a book I will definitely be using quite a bit.

2 comments:

Blogful said...

Just put it on hold!

Linnea said...

I remember reading this one too and liking it. I'm thinking I should probably read it again.

Post a Comment