Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What's For Breakfast?

For the last month and a half I have been cooking breakfast several times a week.  It feels like I'm cooking a lot now- probably just because I always avoided it before whenever possible.  Trying to keep my goal of cooking breakfast on school days (At the very least) has been hard because I don't enjoy cooking and I'm not a morning person. It has become obvious to me that it's important for my family though.  New Fish loves breakfast and she has already gained weight because she is eating more and eating a bigger variety of food.  Red Fish has a better day when we all eat at the table in the morning and it starts our day off better.  I seriously need to expand my breakfast offerings though.  Thus far we have had the following in different combinations

1- muliple kinds of whole grain pancakes
2- Eggs- scrambled, fried, omlet style, fried in a piece of bread
3- Baked oatmeal cake
4- Waffles
5- Breakfast burritos
6- German pancakes
7- Hot cereal
8- Smoothies
9- French toast

What else can I do that is EASY and FAST?  I need ideas here people.  Breakfast has suddenly become extra important around here.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

That is pretty much what we do. My kids expect a hot breakfast every day. I have a really good baked winter oatmeal recipe if you want it. Dallin loves it, and he's very picky. James often makes up a batch of boiled eggs on the weekends, and I use them for breakfasts. We do a lot of yogurt, applesauce, toast--with cinnamon, peanut butter, or jam. I like "egg mcmuffins"--fried egg on toast or a toasted English muffin with cheese, ham, and a touch of mayo.

Lisa said...

I also have a really yummy baked French toast recipe that is very healthy.

Linnea said...

Yogurt with granola on top--mine like that. Sometimes I make a fruit crisp for a fun breakfast. I also bake apples and cinnamon in oatmeal. Muffins--all kinds. I make a mix and then they are super fast in the mornings. Green shakes. French toast sticks--when my kids were little they loved it when I would cut the bread in strips before battering and cooking it. Bagels--there are mini ones that can be healthy without unhealthy toppings. Coffee cakes. Oatmeal/hot cereal stir-ins: I sometimes let the kids stir in their choice of frozen berries. Cinnamon-raisin bread toast. Sometimes another treat is a cinnamon roll--homemade with wheat can be fairly healthy--you can make them ahead and put the dough in the refrigerator and then put them straight in the oven in the morning--they'll raise overnight in the fridge.

Blogful said...

Girl, you must get up EARLY! Wow. This is a huge list. I would add bagels w cream cheese and fruit, boiled eggs (the night before and just nuke a little bit after you mush them up with butter), oatmeal (like the easy kind from a packet that is not good for you *wink*), and then just buy pre-cooked bacon that you can nuke in 30 seconds. I have seen cute pinterest ways of making these foods you have listed--like cutting up pieces of french toast and layering it w fruit on a stick like a breakfast kabob. I seriously think you list covered the whole spectrum though.
PS: In the South we eat grits, but some folks don't care for it. you could try it though?

Blogful said...

OH! And potatoes--hash browns in a waffle iron and such. I say, if it's the first meal of the day, load up on the calories. ha ha!

Somers said...

Uh, where is the plain old oatmeal? You know, the kind you boil oats, add a little salt, top with honey or brown sugar, maybe some raisins or apples. Oatmeal is a major staple at my house. Yummy, nutritious, and cheap.

Mia said...

Banana Cream of Wheat, just make cream of wheat and mix with half a smashed banana per kid, add some cinnamon and it tastes just like banana bread. My kids love it, but for them it's a special bedtime treat on early dinner nights. Swedish pancakes/crepes with strawberries.

Post a Comment