Tuesday, October 30, 2012

HLPSACEM- Fire Fighters

 We always start off our little school day by looking at our calendar.  We also sang our pumpkin songs and added some turkey and Thanksgiving songs.  The kids know the pumpkin songs better than I do.  They had to correct me twice.  Our theme was fire safety and fire fighters so we read two books, Firefighters A to Z and part of Things People Do. Next we started our letter activities.

This week we reviewed the letters H, C, L, S, A, P, E & M.  I tried to think of games to make it more fun.  We played a little Thanksgiving letter matching game found here.  I just limited the letters.  We fished for letters with a magnetic fishing pole.  The fish were cut out of paper with a paper clip on it and the back had a letter to identify and then an action like jump on one foot.  The kids got really into the game.
 We also did some counting file folder games.  I'm trying to get the kids to be able to recognize how many objects are in a group and recognize their numbers 1-10.  I have a bunch of file folder games on the topic.  We focused on counting animals in pictures.  We also did a couple more simple file folder games for matching letters. 

Next we talked about fire safety rules.  I have a whole family home evening kit on the topic with little signs listing the rules with little pictures.  We practiced crawling around and checking doors for heat.  We practiced our stop, drop and roll.  We talked about fire fighters and what they do and I tried to reinforce the idea that we never hide from a firefighter because they are there to save us.  We did a lot of role playing.  It was fun.  No pictures because I was too busy directing.

The games took a long time so we just did a quick art project and drew on scratch boards.  Then we played in our spooky sensory bin for the last time.  I'm going to pack it up and think of something new for next month.  It was a good school day and the kids always amaze me with how much they know.  They act like we are a little silly for reviewing things that are so obviously old hat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment