Sunday, October 7, 2012

Conference Sunday

The basket
Today was conference Sunday.  My visiting teacher made a cute basket full of things to keep the girls busy last April and I copied it for this conference.  It had things to keep their hands busy, treats etc.  Each object in the basket has a picture of someone who would be speaking in conference.  They have to match it up with the speaker.  It's a good thing I made a trip to the dollar store and made the basket because as soon as I announced we would be watching conference today the girls shouted: "Horray!  Where is our basket of surprises?"  They happily munched on snacks, strung beads, counted bags of spiders and glued things on foam shapes and were quiet and somewhat attentive to the message.  They were very excited about seeing the prophet on television.  It's delightful to hear some of conference.  I will still be reading a lot of it to fill in the holes but keeping the girls engaged certainly keeps the peace much more around here.

After the afternoon session, we headed up a nearby canyon for a three hour drive through the mountains.  We stopped several times for short walks and to talk about the beauty of this world our Heavenly Father made for us.  I told the girls that the mountains is my happy place.  They thought for awhile and then Red Fish told me that her happy place is skiing and New Fish decided that hers is swimming.  Two Fish said his happy place was anyplace that we were together.  It was an awesome afternoon.  Every bend in the mountains would make the girls gasp with delight.  There were exclamations about how beautiful the scenery was for hours.  We listened to a CD of children's songs and every single song just happened to be New Fish's "very most favorite ever song."


Daddy's girls
We drove home to a yummy stew and hot chocolate to warm us up from the chilly canyon.  We snuggled in our jammies and read books for over an hour.  This is my kind of perfection.  I'm feeling especially grateful for my little family lately.  It certainly doesn't hurt when the kids are sweet all day and declare Two Fish and I the "greatest Mommy and Daddy ever, ever was."  Can I please not leave the weekend?

1 comments:

Nortorious said...

Please send me a basket like that for my kids! Thanks! ;)

Post a Comment