Thursday, July 12, 2012

LACMA


I had a few hours to myself today in LA.  I did an internship here when I was nineteen and it was fun to do a tiny bit of wandering.  I'm surprised at how little seemed familiar.  Things change fast.  I stayed in a hotel by myself last night and that creeped me out a bit.  I'm not used to spending much time alone now that I'm a Mom.  Funny that I had no problem moving across the ocean by myself at a young age with no living arrangements but now staying in a hotel for a night creeps me out.  I'm getting wussy. 

The main attraction for the day was a trip to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.  It is full of happy memories for me.  My Dad took me to see all of the paintings from the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam when they were displayed in 2000.  One of the highlights of my life.  I also spent a lot of time there when I was 19.  I would sit for hours in the different rooms.  That's the best way to see an art museum- a little at a time so it can soak into your soul.  Unfortunately, today was a bit of a drive by.  I was literally running around the buildings trying to see a few of my favorites and some of the new things that have been added since I was there last.

Picasso- Head Of A Woman
I adore the permanent collection at the LACMA.  Being in the pressence of that many beautiful works of art feeds my soul and inspires me to go home and create. It cements in my mind the importance of art as a part of our culture and educations. I'm going to have to find a way to incorporate more trips to art museums and shows into my life and try and get my kids to them.  I think my favorite pieces change with each trip but this time I was especially enamoured with many of the bronze sculptures.  There are a series of heads made by Matisse and Picasso's Head of A Woman were were the most striking this time.  I've always loved the B. Gerald Cantor Sculpture Garden with Rodin's works especially the Monumental Head Of Pierre De Wissant.  The LACMA's collection of Giacometti bronze forms are also a sight to behold.  I especially love his elongated forms.  They make me want to fill my home with art.

I also really loved the section of German artists and the avant-garde expressionists. Two of my favorite Albrecht Durer prints are on display at the LACMA, St Michael And The Dragon & The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse.  They are breathtaking prints with incredible detail.  Vasily Kandinsky (not my favorite of his but still enjoyable to see) Ernst Ludwig Kirchner's Two Women and Willem De Koonings' mass of molten forms, Seated Women were all fun to see.  I wish I had more time to examine them closely.



De Kooning- Seated Woman
Kirchner- Two Women



Seeing work by certain beloved artists feels a bit like visiting old friends.  Just walking past George Segal (Woman At The Window), George Brague, Modigliani, my beloved Degas  and his ballerinas is always a treat. Some of them inspired me to think of future projects with my kids.  I need to introduce them to Miro and and Paul Klee.  We have more printmaking to do.  We must do some Calder inspire mobiles and make more large format paintings.  I'm pretty sure spray paint is involved in our near future.  There is simply too much art to make and too little time to do it.

I am not a huge fan of American portraiture but I did take a few moments for the best: Homer, Cassatt & Whistler.

There were new things at the LACMA that I hadn't seen before.  I didn't know Matisse had done any mosaics of his paper collages and they have a massive piece intended for a patio.  How would that be to have at your house? There is a whole building of contemporary art which I find inspiring but nothing jumped out in my memory. A display of James Bond movie credits was so fun.  I'm not a James Bond fan but I do love the style and the artwork.  I've made several pieces inspired by them.  

Now it's off to the train station for a few days with Lovely L!

0 comments:

Post a Comment