Sunday, November 20, 2011

East Of Eden by John Steinbeck

To really love a book, I don't even have to like the story. I just have to really love the language and the writing style.  I can get entirely lost in that.  That is how I feel about this book.  I adored the descriptions of the countryside.  The small quotes about the inner workings of the characters. East of Eden is not the most interesting story I've ever read.  The parallels with the story of Cain and Able were a little too drawn out and I wasn't overly attached to any of the characters.  The language is so beautiful, the writing so rich that I don't care about any of those other things.  It is simply beautiful.  The story could have been about absolutely anything and I would have loved it.  It was my least favorite of Steinbeck's stories and my favorite of his books.  I loved reading it and would recommend it to anyone.  A fabulous book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment