Friday, September 17, 2010

The Hunger Games Trilogy


I read all three back to back so I can't really separate them in my mind. I did find them fairly addicting. They remind me quite a bit of Enders Game, The Giver and City of Ember. A cautionary tale of war, waste, prejudice and controlling government. There are parts of the series that are downright disturbing because they ring of a bit of truth. A sad reflection of society and where we could be headed. There were parts that I loved seeing the complications of being a teenager combined with the best parts of humanity. I loved the main character Katniss. She is complicated, flawed and very believable.

The ending just kind of made me depressed. I like that it wasn't all fairy tales and fluff- running away on a rainbow at the end but I would have appreciated a little more of a hint of healing and peace at the end. The damaged part outweighs the good rebuilding parts if that makes sense. The heartache, PTSD and deception was just a little too much for me.

2 comments:

The Clem Family said...

I'm not much of a bookworm, but everybody keeps telling me I would really enjoy those books. I'm just gonna have to drive down to the library and and check 'em out!

Linnea said...

I love those books! I was a little sad at the end but then I don't think Katniss could go through everything she did without some PTSD.

Post a Comment