Thursday, August 18, 2011

Finding a Rhythm

 Sometimes I think I get a little too grandiose with project ideas for my kids.  Sometimes I need to remind myself that simple is better, that they are little and they enjoy the same processes over and over.  Today New Fish and I pulled out the Crayola twistable slick sticks for the first time in forever and she just drew pictures for quite awhile.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy the slick sticks.  They have great pigment and toddlers get a lot of satisfaction out of them. 
New Fish and I are looking for a rhythm now that Red Fish has started school.  It's time to wind down on the craziness of summer and find our schedule again.  New Fish has been really clingy lately and hasn't been sleeping.  After some thinking and praying, I'm pretty sure she needs some focused attention from me.  Sometimes a kid just needs their mom to just sit and hold them and spend some good quality one on one time. I spend a lot of time with my kids but there is something about keeping things simple that really works better. So this morning we drew pictures, talked about animals, read books, played the piano and danced to some music.  Just simple stuff but I could tell that New Fish soaked it up.  Fingers crossed for a good nights sleep.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

I agree that rhythm can affect kids' behavior and sleep. I've been thinking alot about this lately with Sariah's behavior. Summer is just a bit too "loose" and she needs to be reigned back in with more structure. I recently heard rhythm and the seasons compared to a spool of thread. In winter, we try to keep the spool wound up tight, and it's very secure, things tend to run more smoothly. In summer we let the thread out, but by summer's end we're ready to wind it back up. MOre structure, more boundaries, stable bedtime, etc. That's totally how I feel!

P.S. New Fish is so adorable!

Post a Comment