Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Art Group Day 11- Jackson Pollock Day

 Today in art group we discussed Jackson Pollock who is well-known for his abstract expressionist splatter paintings.  We talked about throwing and dripping the paint and using our whole bodies to create movement.  Our product didn't turn out very Pollock -esque but the process was fantastic. It tore a little bit but it held up pretty well to all of the abuse.  I create a huge canvas out of construction paper reinforced with a duct tape web on the back. I had trays and bowls of tempera paint ready for them to use.


 My girls were, as always, right in the middle of everything.  They loved it. 


After the kids had painted themselves, we did a smaller version they could take home with them.  I had bowls of paint covered marbles that they could stick in a tray and roll over their papers.  It was pretty fun and I plan to make more of them with the girls very soon.  I didn't get a great picture of the finished product.  After we finished painting, we hosed the kids off, had a picnic and went swimming. 
I think it's pretty funny that my idea of a "wild" party has seriously changed with motherhood.  (Not that I went to many wild parties) It now includes: 20-30 small children, pb&j, a lot of non-toxic washable paint, someone throwing up in the pool, hosing down a child after a diaper malfunction, having four kids cling to my head as I swim around the pool while holding onto my swimsuit top and prying off little fingers so as not to give any small children an anatomy lesson, confiscating golf clubs, capri suns and a whole lot of screaming. It was pretty much sheer chaos! 

2 comments:

The Clem Family said...

It was a very wild party, but way fun!!

Richinsrock said...

Sounds like the parties I have been to for the last 11 years lol. Looks like you had lots of fun.

Post a Comment