Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

This was my book club's pick for the month.  It is basically, the story of Ernest Heminway's "doomed starter wife."  It is a fictional memoir written from Hadley's point of view.  The book captures her whirlwind romance with the unknown artist and follows the downward spiral as she is cast aside as a supporting character in the larger story of Hemingway.  The two strike out as expatriates in Jazz-age Paris and befriend a motley crew of friends with a broad spectrum of morals. 

This book was just kind of disturbing.  It describes my worst nightmare of a marriage.  (Other than a violently abusive marriage.)  I knew the train wreck was coming and I just kept reading anyway. Ernest Hemingway is selfish, vain and a terrible husband.  Even when McLain is trying to describe the supposed "good times" between Hadley and Ernest it made me slightly sick.  Perhaps all great artists need to be tortured and self involved but I don't really believe it.  One thing I did admire about McLain's writing is that you can feel Hadley's heart breaking a little bit at a time rather than her love and heart being shattered all at once.  I think that is the way it really happens although the very end of the book did push me over the edge.   The Paris Wife was mildly boring to read but might provide fodder for an interesting discussion on morality and the arts.

**Spoiler Alert** When he chastises Hadley for bringing up his affairs I actually wanted to scream.  When Hadley remains friends with the mistress and only slowly removes herself I was ill. When McLain romanticizes the phone call between Hadley and Ernest after Hadley has been married for 35 years to someone else, I actually laughed out loud.  Was Hadley truly that self loathing and pathetic?  I truly truly hope not.  I think McLain has a sick sense of romance.***

I'm truly in need of something light and fun to read.  Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Blogful said...

A Girl Named Zippy by Kimmel. It's been a long time since I read it, but I definitely remember laughing out loud--I mean, in a good way. Not in a self-loathing-mistress sort of way

The Clem Family said...

Just the other day, I was thinking about the book 'Holes.' I should totally read it again and so should you!

Nancy said...

My sister reads a ton and is always full Of great suggestions. She even has a blog for it. If you want some ideas you should go check it out at thebookbarn.blogspot.com Her most recent suggestion is a book called A Long Way From Chicago.

Post a Comment