Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Masterpiece I Didn't Appreciate

Middle March by George Elliot 
Generally, I love classic books. I almost feel apologetic about my review on this one.  I think I would have loved this one, but it was a bad time for me to read an 850+ page book that takes a good 200 pages to really start.  It started to weigh on me and feel like a chore to get through.  That rarely happens to me and I blame the weather.  Middle March is elegantly written and Mary Anne Evans is an incredible author.  It just a very large cast of characters and too many subplots for me to concentrate on right now.  It is a witty work with plenty of insight into women, marriage and the human condition but I just couldn't get into it.  Maybe next time.

1 comments:

Blogful said...

The movie was good...

Post a Comment