Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What I've Been Reading

1776 By David McCullough
This book made me count my blessings that I live in an age of freedom. as it brought history to life for me. 1776 made the participants of the Revolutionary war real to me in a way I had never considered them to be. I don't think I ever quite appreciated the perril and hopelessness that faced revolutionaries. McCullough manages to weave a story that is interesting and gripping. I wish all historical books could be this compelling. I especially loved the descriptions of George Washington. A must read if you are interested in American History.

A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
Hank Morgan is sent 12 centuries back through time and transplanted into King Arthur's Court.
He tries to push 19th century technology, politics and ideas onto Medievil England. Morgan's attempts at subverting the aristocracy and the Catholic church are hysterical at times as he muddles through his attempts to change the prevailing culture. The satire is cringe worthy as the text takes jabs at racisim, slavery, economic policy and education. Though this book was relevant at the time of it's writing, it may be more relevant now. I do have to say that though I enjoyed most of the book there were several dreadfully slow parts that almost made me give up but it is worth making it to the finish.

The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Nightime by Mark Haddon
I had read this years ago but had kind of forgotten the story line so I wanted to read it again. The story is written from the perspective of an autistic teenager and it follows an eccentric trip through his world. I love seeing the inner workings of Christopher's mind. He is logical and very literal minded and he doesn't have the filters that society demands. It is funny and disturbing and heat-breaking all at the same time. I loved it.
* Be warned- there is some unfortunate language.

The Shakeress by Kimberly Heuston (One of my high school teachers)
A young girl searches for spiritual peace and a sense of belonging during the 19th century. She joins a shaker community with her family and eventually comes in contact with the Mormon church. A nice read with some lovely descriptions, definitely worth reading if you have a few hours. The historical references were interesting and the characters have several shining moments that really draw you to them. I wish Naomi's journey into mormonism had been expanded upon a little more. There are places in the book that skip over important parts of the story and left me slightly disconcerted. Bernie's blessing was truly touching and really sucked me into Naomi's conversion story but I was disappointed that the other details of what brought Naomi to her ultimate decision were glossed over.

2 comments:

The Clem Family said...

I read 1776 for a history class a few years back. Normally, not my kind of read, but it did hold my attention. Until reading this book, I didn't realize how much the odds were stacked against "us." It, also, confirmed to me how much of a role our Heavenly Father must have had in the whole thing. Great book!

Blogful said...

I also loved 1776 and I have wondered about the dog book. Thanks for your reviews. Now I know what to read next!

Post a Comment