Sunday, January 23, 2011

Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family

Edited by David C. Dollahite
A collection of essays centered on the LDS Church's Proclomation On The Family and the foundational aspects of relationships between the sexes, marriage, and family life. There are a lot of interesting ideas on how to break through misdirected expectations and extra baggage in our relationships. A lot of my favorite parenting ideals are in this book and it gave me new ideas on how to raise my ideals but stay grounded in reality. I loved the essays on developing traditions in order to strengthen family relationships. I liked what the books says about the roles of mothers and fathers and the balance that must be found. The research is interesting for the most part and it gave me a lot of room for self reflection.There were a few places I glossed over because it is a text book and I'm not interested in reading about the history of leisure activities. Overall, definitely worth giving a read if you believe in the importance of family.

2 comments:

JoandDoug said...

Doug and I took this class together when we were engaged. The author was our teacher and for some reason, it was such a painful class to get through! He was a tad bit on the pompous side and we seriously struggled sitting through class. It brought back some funny memories to see you post this! I'm sure he meant well and it's a great reference at least. We just got asked to speak Sunday about families. I'm pretty sure it's payback for the way we acted in his class!

Blogful said...

My major was The History of Leisure Activities! Sounds like a good read. Wish I had an LDS bookstore within 3000 miles

Post a Comment