Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dear Aunt Kate

June, 2010
Dear Aunt Kate
Thank you. Thank you for being you. You were one of the kindest people I have ever known. You always radiated love and kindness. I have always wished I could be more like you- more creative, more loving and more kind.

Thank you for always loving me. There really isn't a way to tell anyone else how special you made me feel as a kid or how loved you made me feel. Thank you for writing me countless letters as I was growing up. Thank you for making me beautiful things. For showing me how creativity and service can go together. Thank you for showing me what friendship looks like at every age.

Coming to visit you by myself as a child is one of my favorite memories. You made me feel so special and grown up. We made all kinds of crafty things and little porcelain dolls. We rode the roller coaster at the state fair and made giant sugar cookies. That weekend was my idea of heaven as a kid.

You never made me feel like you didn't have time for me, even when it was inconvenient. I have pictures of me hanging on your arm at funerals and family events when I'm sure you had plenty of grandkids and family members who wanted your attention. You always made me feel like the most important person in the world and I feel lucky to have known someone with a heart as beautiful as yours. There just aren't many people in the world like you. I'm sure you made a lot of people feel loved and important.

I was walking around my house looking at all of the beautiful things you made me over the years. Porcelain dolls for childhood birthdays, a Christmas music box, a statue of Christ for my wedding, a llyadro knockoff for my high school graduation, little notes of encouragement over the years. Each one has a special place in heart and reminds me of how much I love you and how loved you made me feel.

I'm happy you are at peace and that you are with your husband again. I'm sure you are with the other angels like you have always belonged.

Thank You Forever. Until we meet again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment