Thursday, January 6, 2011

Magic


My little Bubs is a terrible sleeper. She was over a year old and had not started sleeping through the night. Before you suggest I go Baby Wise or just let her cry out- it's not gonna happen. I'm convinced she would never stop crying not to mention I'm pretty sure I would have a seizure listening to her in the other room. I can't stand it. I'm not a cry it out kind of mom and I'm anti- baby wise. I thank my lucky stars I haven't had a colicky baby. I'm not sure how some of you brave moms out there have survived that. Screaming babies are a special kind of torture.

I was pretty much left with getting up with her sometimes multiple times a night. It was no bueno. So I started researching online and looking at weighted blankets. I know that some of my friends with children on the autism spectrum, with sensory processing disorder, ADHD, and many other special needs have used them. Although New Fish doesn't have any special needs I'm aware of, the weighted blanket has been a miracle for both of us. It has calmed her down and kept her asleep for around 9-12 hours a night. MIRACLE.

The effect was immediate. She slept through the night the first time we used the blanket and the few times we haven't been able to use the blanket (because it was puked on when she was sick etc.) she has not slept through the night. I know it may not work that well for everyone but I'm a believer now.

I usually go put it on her after she is asleep so that it doesn't get kicked off or scrunched in a corner. It weighs three pounds and the weight is evenly distributed. You order the weight according to how big your child is. I ordered ours from affordableweightedblankets.com It was still expensive for a blanket but not nearly as expensive as some of the other sites.

I'm thinking of using a weighted lap pad to help her ride in the car so maybe she will stop screaming the whole time.

There are few moments in Motherhood when you find a magical product that will solve
a major problem. And if you happen to know of any magical products do please share with me.

8 comments:

CassiLou said...

Man! I wish I had had one of these when my son was a baby. I bet it would have helped a TON! Do they have adult versions of this? They are coming out with so many cool things now for babies and toddlers. 10.5 years ago I was still in the stone age with my kids.

Somers said...

I am so glad that the blanket works!!! I agree, babies screaming is a special kind of torture. We had to let Christian cry it out for a while and it was AWFUL. If I ever get another sleeper like him I will surely look into a weighted blanket!

One Fish said...

Yes they do have adult size blankets! I totally want one.

The Clem Family said...

I don't know of any "magic" products other than the portable DVD player helps me from wanting to kill my kids on long trips.

Nancy said...

I've never heard of these, but they sound really cool. Abby has similar problems with sleeping through the night (although she has slept 9 hours straight three times this week... and then she got sick, AGH!) I'll have to check into these for sure.

Gregg Sorensen Family said...

That sounds AMAZING!! I just let me kids cry it out and spent the whole time crying with them. I am going to tell my sister about it.

Lei said...

That's awesome! I've heard of them and probably should have one for Drew.

Linnea said...

So cool! I still need to get/make one. Nathan likes to have several blankets on him...whenever he's home. Sometimes I think Ethan needs one in the car.... The only other magic mom tool I've heard of is that one of my grandma's used to give her kids Dramamine--it wasn't called that then. :) But I've never used it...

Post a Comment