Wednesday, November 7, 2012

F Is For Farmer

Our button turkeys I made last year
Our nursery rhyme this week was "The Farmer And The Dell."  We learned about the letter F and farms.  We read out of First Thousand Words and What People Do.  We also read all of our farm themed books.  It turns out we have a lot.  The favorite today was Fisher Price Let's Go To The Farm.  It has a lot of flaps that the kids liked lifting.  We discussed baby animal names, animal sounds, different kinds of produce, the shape of produce, etc.

 Blue Fish, our dog likes to be a part of all of our lessons.  It's ridiculous.  He especially loves circle time and wants to be a part of everything.  During our circle time we sang all of our turkey and pumpkin songs and also sang Old McDonald Had A Farm.  We also sang The Cows On The Farm Say Moo Moo Moo, Moo Moo Moo, Moo Moo Moo.  The Cows On The Farm Say Moo Moo Moo, all around the farm.  (Sang to the tune of the Wheels On The Bus.)  We had a set of farm animal flashcards the kids would hold up to change the animal and sound.  My kids love that song.  My Mother in law used to use it when she taught preschool.  For every song we sang we would either unbutton or button on a feather on our turkeys.  Learning to button was pretty tricky and we will definitely need more practice.
 We talked about planting and what it takes for farmers to grow food for us.  I had this little planting picture in my FHE kit.  I think it is from an old Friend magazine?  They pretended to plant the garden repeatedly.  It was cute.
 We did animal themed file folder games to help reinforce recognizing groups of 1-10. 
 The kids used plastic needles to sew together little turkey puppets.  It was really tricky for them but they did a great job.  It took some serious concentration.  Then I helped them glue on the faces and feathers with fabric glue.
 We did corn prints much like we did last year.  I forgot to buy corn so we tried using some old Indian corn I had.  It didn't work quite as well but the kids didn't care.  It's mostly a color mixing exercise anyway.  I loved when they started shouting that blue and yellow mix to make green.  They were so excited about their discovery.

I had visions of a harvest/farm themed sensory bin this month.  I even went to the store to get stuff but couldn't find anything cheap.  So I went with stuff we had on hand and made an aquatic bin.  The beans are not ideal but the kids had a fabulous time playing with it today.



0 comments:

Post a Comment