Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What Are The Odds?

On a daily basis I am bombarded by questions. Fifty percent of those questions are why? why? why? The other half are questions like: "Why do bats sleep during the day but elephants don't?"  "Why is the sky blue but the grass is green?"  "If our clothes catch on fire we are supposed to stop, drop and roll.  Does that work if you get hot lava inside your body too?"  Questions, questions all day long.  Sometimes I drive around the same block several times because I can't concentrate on the address we are looking for because I am being asked too many questions to think straight.

On Saturday, Red Fish was asking me questions about the animated movie about Joseph from the Bible.  Red Fish had a lot of questions about why his brothers sold him and what being a slave means.  We talked for awhile about how nobody should be able to own another person and how slavery was wrong and his brothers did something bad and had to repent later.  It was a pretty serious conversation. 

A few hours later Red Fish and I stopped by a Walmart to pick up a few things.  I dislike Walmart.  This trip made me dislike it more.  As soon as we got in Walmart we saw a promotion that seriously blew my mind.  A woman was locked in a cage banging a cup on the side asking shoppers to bail her out by donating to the local children's hospital.  Red Fish became unglued because she thought the woman was being sold into slavery.  I tried to explain to her that it was kind of a joke (and not a very nice one.)  She was still pretty upset. 

Seriously, what are the chances that my four year old asks me about slavery and then we happen upon a woman asking people to buy her out of captivity in the middle of the grocery store?

5 comments:

Gregg Sorensen Family said...

Holy cow! That is so crazy!

Lisa Campbell said...

Haha! So funny. Ivy would have been super upset about that. She's already sad about animals being in cages in the zoo.

Lisa Southard said...

That is a deranged way to raise money!

Linnea said...

How confusing for her!

Linnea said...

How confusing for her!

Post a Comment