Thursday, May 19, 2011

Creative Cubscouting

 In the interest of journaling, I'm including a couple things we have done in cub scouts lately.  Tonight in Cub scouts we had a music night to help them earn their music belt loop, pin and some electives.  My friend and coworker Ryan came and talked to the boys about being a composer and engineer and her did a great job capturing their interest.  We made homemade musical instruments that actually turned out pretty great.  We got the tutorial here.  Red Fish and New Fish made some and loved them too.
 Last week, we made sun prints in cub scouts.  I bought paper that develops in the sun and fixes in water.  Pretty cool.  These are the prints Red Fish made of a weed and a leaf.  The cub scouts weren't as impressed by the activity as I hoped but Red Fish thought it was really cool.

This calling is good for me.  I haven't spent a ton of time around kids in this inbetween age in quite awhile.  I've worked with the tiny kids and teenagers but not with the middle ages as much.  It has taught me a lot about them.  I'm always surprised by the way my callings* in the LDS church teach me.  I've been humbled a lot when I realize how apropos some of these opportunities to serve end up being for me.  For example, I had served in our nursery for years before but serving there a couple of years ago in a new ward with a huge push for doing more art and activities with the kids really got me thinking about doing art with Red Fish and sort of started our real commitment to doing projects in our house.  I always planned on doing it but the nursery calling (which I was NOT excited about) got me really moving on it.

* callings are requests given by my church to serve.  We don't get to choose where or what we do to serve although we can say yes or no.

0 comments:

Post a Comment