Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Art Group Day 7- Jackson Pollock Day

I think this afternoon is a great example of what most people picture when I say I do art projects with my kids on a regular basis. This mess is pretty much every mother's nightmare and every kid's dream. We dressed everyone in bathing suits and then used the hose for cleanup. I think if you guys can handle this art project without freaking out, you can pretty much handle any project. This is as messy as it gets!

Today we talked about Jackson Pollack and then decided to try our own collaborative abstract expressionist piece. We had a canvas and a big sheet and all of the kids set to work on both of them. The kids were very timid at first but it didn't take them long to start flipping paint around and applying it directly onto their hands. I think there was more paint on their bodies than on the piece itself. There were a lot of handprints and foot prints on the painting. There were 4 gallons of tempera in the primary colors and white so the kids could make any color they wanted and all of the mixing was fun to watch. We used sponges, balls, scrapers, brushes and scrubbers. It was a great experience working with different textures and mixing colors.
Red Fish spent most of her time mixing colors in her hands and squishing the paint. A great sensory experience.



Canvas #1
Canvas #2
Even New Fish got in on the action. (Yes, she got a little in her mouth and yes it is non-toxic paint. ) She loved being right in the middle of everything and getting messy.

What a fabulous, messy day.

5 comments:

Blogful said...

Three cheers to you for being such a brave and creative mom. I totally would wimp out. Your kids will really benefit from having such a great mom.

The Clem Family said...

You're right about it being a mom's nightmare. I had to put my blinders on, but the kids LOVED it! Thanks again for the fun idea and the preparation you put into this.

Gregg Sorensen Family said...

Thanks for another fun art day! My kids had a blast getting all painted up!

Joanna said...

this makes me want to live by you--- so the mess can stay at your house!! SO FUN!

Richinsrock said...

My kids came home and talked and talked about how much fun they had. I wish I could have been there, but then again it may have been good. Either way I think I will do this with them on my own they have wanted to paint everyday since then. Thank-you thank-you.

Post a Comment