Monday, June 14, 2010

Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise


by Ruth Reichl
A comic tour through the epicurean world of New York CIty. It makes me hungry just thinking about it. I suddenly want to tour big cities and do nothing but eat in fancy restaurants all day long (except for the nasty ones Ruth describes.) Ruth Reichl's writing is witty and charismatic. The book is a fun, quick read. I enjoyed it much more than "Not Becoming My Mother." I'm looking forward to reading "Tender At The Bone" at some point in the future.

When Reichl becomes the new food critic at the New York Times, she finds that the entire city has her picture posted with rewards for sightings. In order to obtain some anonymity Reichl decides to develop alternate personas and disguises. Her adventures and her insights are very self revealing. Each chapter describes a new disguise followed by the original review and a recipe for inspiration. Her recipes are almost tempting enough for me to want to cook (if only I didn't hate it so much.) Reichl definitely has a gift for writing about cuisine and describes the tastes and textures in a tantalizing way. I could almost taste the food.

0 comments:

Post a Comment