Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rainbows and Butterflies

Two of our butterflies completed their metamorphosis this weekend. I have been a little worried that they were dead because the whole process took much longer than expected.  Two of the caterpillars died,  One is stilling kicking but won't form a chrysalis.  It has been really great for the kids to watch the whole process.  The bugs get checked on quite frequently.
In honor of rainbow week we did some paintings with the primary colors and did more color mixing.  Unfortunately I ran out of yellow liquid watercolor and my regular watercolor didn't quite stand up to the other liquid versions so their paintings turned out mostly red, blue and purple.  The girls couldn't have cared less.  We turned some of the texas snowflake paintings into butterflies with pipe cleaners.  In our insect discussions I have taught the girls that all insects have six legs. Disturbingly, our butterflies only appear to have four legs.  Either the butterflies are hiding a pair or I am grossly misinformed on biology.  The girls keep asking why I said the butterflies would have six legs.  I'm going to have to investigate on google.  We made our paper versions with six legs.
New Fish
Red Fish
 We also made tape collages because kids just love using tape.

0 comments:

Post a Comment