Wednesday, April 17, 2013

r is for rainbows

Preschool this week is all about the letter "r", rainbows, color mixing and the nursery rhymes: "Roses Are Red" and "Ring Around The Rosies."  We started by cutting out our letter.  It was the first time New Fish was able to actually cut the whole letter out and follow the template.  She used to just slice the paper up. Either way works for me because I'm really just trying to get them to hold scissors and notice the shape of the letter. Next we traced inside both the upper and lower case R with a bunch of different colored markers. We made collages with all different colored items.

Next we started our color mixing experiments (which all had to be repeated when Red Fish and a friend came home from preschool.)  We spread globs of paint between two pieces of wax paper.  We took bowls of colored cornstarch and water into baggies and squished the colors together.  We took droppers of colored water and mixed them in ice cube trays.  Buddy B enjoyed the color mixing so much that he kept shouting: "I love it!  I just love it so much!"  It was hilarious.

We played with the rainbow parachute and sang songs.  We did file folder games on opposites and rhyming words and then we headed outside.  I planned to dance with rainbow streamers and string fruit loop necklaces but I had way too much planned this week. (Plus, I forgot to buy fruit loops.)

New Fish's creation
Red Fish's after school creation
I drew the numbers 1-20 in chalk on the sidewalk. The kids traced most of the numbers behind me.  I would call out a number and the kids would run and stand on it.  Then they would have to do 3 jumping jacks, stomp their feet 20 times etc.  It was a total hit with them.  They loved it.  Any time we can involve movement, things go well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment