Sunday, March 24, 2013

Jeruselem Dinner

White grape juice (I was afraid of spills), cataloupe, lentils, dried apricots, two kinds of flat bread (one was gluten free), cucumbers, pistachios, garbanzo beans, two kinds of hummus, almonds, walnuts, rice pilaf, grapes, yogurt, olive oil and vinegar.  We also ended up having a ham which is definitely NOT something Christ would have eaten.  
We have been trying hard this month to make the month of Easter more spiritual and really teach our kids about the true meaning of the holiday.  I think we did a pretty good job at Christmas so I've been trying to do the same kind of thing this month.  One of our ideas (that we stole from siblings and cousins who do it) was to have a Family Home Evening Jerusalem dinner and eat the kinds of things that Christ might have eaten.  We invited my parents to come eat with us and then it snowballed into a family event.  It turned out awesome.  The food was actually much better tasting than I thought it would be and we ended up with quite a variety since everyone brought something.  We ate without utensils on the floor.
After dinner we did a quick Easter story with pictures of the last week of Christ's life and Easter eggs that contain symbols of the story.  It's an annual favorite.  I never know if my kids are paying attention or not but then they usually surprise me with how much they remember later. 
 We have been doing a scripture countdown to Easter.  We've missed some days but we are generally trying to stay on top of it.  We always catch up.  We hang little tags on our Easter tree to remind us of what we have been talking about.  I downloaded the tags here although we have had to adapt a lot of the info so that our kids could understand what we were talking about.

I have figured out later this week that all of the Easter talk might possibly be backfiring.  I went to the grocery store with New Fish and she went running out of the store into the parking lot before I could catch her.  When I told her she almost got ran over she said: "It's cool Mom.  Jesus will resurrect me."  Um no.  Not "cool." I may have to change my Easter lessons. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment