Friday, December 14, 2012

Tonight

Tonight I went on a little girls night out with Red Fish.  She is pretty much the coolest five year old I know.  She has really been wanting some one on one attention and needed some serious Mommy time.  She asked if we could go get sushi (a girl after my own heart.)  She tried some of all of the rolls I ordered and she ordered herself a salmon filet.  This is hilarious because Two Fish hates fish and I only eat sushi.  I don't think she even knew what salmon was.  Red Fish ate everything with chop sticks and was so well behaved and loved her tempera veggies and rice.  I think she was the only kid in the whole restaurant.  We came home and snuggled and watched part of a movie that we will finish later.  It was a great night for both of us.

Red Fish is a tenderhearted little thing.  We went through the girls' toys on Monday and picked several to donate.  It was a tough process trying to decide what should go but they finally settled on the right things they wanted to give away.  Then for family home evening we went to the store and bought things off a giving tree for kids in need.  We spent a lot of time discussing these kids in need and how many people need food, clothing, or toys for Christmas.  We bought several coats and ten bags of diapers etc and still had a hard time getting Red Fish out of the store.  She wasn't satisfied.  We need to do more for other people.  She has encouraged us all to dig a little deeper.  So we have donated food and toys throughout the week and she is still on the lookout for more we can do.  I'm glad she is inspired.  She is a sweet girl.

New Fish went on a date with her daddy tonight to IHOP and ate pancakes to her heart's content and stole Two Fish's bacon.  Tomorrow we will trade kids and do something else (probably not dinner) so everyone gets some much needed focused attention. These kids get cranky when they haven't had enough snuggles or focused attention.

In the wake of the tragedy in Connecticut today, I just can't sleep.  The senseless killing of 20 kids ages 5-10 just hits a little too close to home.  I am holding my babies tighter today.  I am appreciating my five year old's little sense of humor and her tender little feelings.  I am stopping to really think about how much I adore these little girls.  My heart breaks for those mothers who don't get to hold their children tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment