Sunday, February 19, 2012

What Quiet Looks Like






Red Fish stopped napping last year.  It was a serious problem because she still needed some down time and I still needed time to do my graphic design projects.  I try as hard as possible to not be on the computer all day and make sure I concentrate on the girls.  Nap time helps make that possible. So, we instituted quiet time.  For the most part it goes really well.  Basically she just has to entertain herself for an hour and a half or two hours while New Fish sleeps.  If she gets too antsy and I have gotten my work done, we do speech during this time as well.  I've been spending a lot of time reading to her and New Fish just after quiet time and nap time are over and they seem to really need some cuddle time before dinner.

Quiet time is quickly being observed religiously.  It has had it's ups and downs.  Sometimes I have to set up play areas or projects for her ahead of time to keep her occupied.  Other times she just does her own thing.  Red Fish spends time playing in the toy room playing make believe.  She is allowed to spend a little time on the computer playing her game.  She also fills pages and pages in her coloring books or sits in her bed and looks at books.  She is allowed to do artwork that doesn't require close supervision.  She uses tempera cakes almost everyday.  The house is filled with rainbow paintings and collages.  Seems we both are getting some art done during our daily quiet times.  Fingers crossed it keeps working!  Quiet time and freezer meals are making being a working mother work right now.

1 comments:

Blogful said...

We love quiet time. It is my saving grace. I call it my lunch break. 9 out of 10 times she falls asleep too. But boy, when she's up, a whole lot LESS productivity happens

Post a Comment