Monday, February 20, 2012

Ski Day With The Girls

The girls with my Dad at the top of the lift.
 Awesome ski day today. It was beautiful and sunny.  I'm totally totally exhausted.  Skiing with kids is a lot of work!  All of those layers and ski boots and getting them down the bunny hill is a serious job.  I loved today regardless of the work.  I spent the first part of the day carrying New Fish on my back for the first time.  It was surprisingly easy and she LOVED it.  She would shout "Woohoo!" the whole way down the mountain.  She said we were "flying" when we were on the lift and she couldn't stop talking about how beautiful it was.  Her appreciation of the outdoors makes me happy.  New Fish wore a bicycle helmet since we only have one ski helmet.  Next year she will be old enough to ski herself.  Crazy. 

First family ski picture!
 I only planned on carrying New Fish for a couple of runs and then had a backpack full of fun for the ski lodge.  She didn't want any part of that plan.  She only hung out in the lodge for lunch and then she was back in the backpack for more runs.  She even fell asleep on Two Fish's back.
My Dad with the girls in the lodge for lunch.
 After lunch Red Fish wanted to ditch the bunny hill and move onto something bigger.  We still stuck to the green circles but it was dramatically more difficult terrain.  She does really well making her wedge on the skis and is making progress turning on the bunny hill.  On the more difficult hill I have to hang onto her harness and kind of hold her in front of me.  It is akin to doing a squat with a fifty pound weight and sliding down a mountain while shouting "Pizza Pie!  Make a pizza!  Now lean left!  Now lean right!  Good, good!"  Brutal on the legs.  Great for the mommy points.  On the smaller hill we just hold onto some leashes attached to her harness so that she doesn't completely take off.  These ski lessons are of my own design.  I really need to talk to some experts and find out the right way to teach a kid to ski.  Any advice out there?

Two Fish and Red Fish

2 comments:

Somers said...

Ah ha! I just need to find someone who will CARRY me down the slope!

Linnea said...

The 1st family ski picture is adorable!!

Post a Comment