Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Symphony Night

My obsession over when/how to educate my children continues.  Music has been a real point of worry for me.  I spend a lot of time thinking about how best to instill a love of music in my children and when I should start them in formal music lessons.  We do a lot of singing and listening at home but music never quite gets the focus and attention I would like it to have.  There just aren't enough hours in the day.  My newest musical effort is to introduce them to more music by taking them to concerts.  We attended concerts in the park over the summer and we go to some of my brother's concerts.  We also bought tickets to all of the family concerts our local symphony puts on.  The symphony is making an impressive effort to reach out to the younger generation with these family friendly (and surprisingly affordable) set of concerts.  Some of them I will take New Fish to but not all of them.  Tonight, Two Fish and I took Red Fish to the "Salute To Youth" concert.  Young musicians ages 11-18 soloed with the symphony.  I think it was great for Red Fish to see these very young and accomplished musicians.  She really enjoyed the music.  We didn't quite make it through the whole thing because it ended up being quite lengthy but Red Fish did a great job being quiet and respectful.  She is, after all, only three.  Red Fish's favorite part was the piano solos and getting to go out with mommy and daddy by herself.  Next month we get to wear our Halloween costumes to the concert.

3 comments:

Somers said...

Red Fish is a lucky girl.

The Lloyd Family said...

You might be interested in the music program I have my girls enrolled in. It's called Let's Play Music. They have a website with more info on the program and you can look for teachers in your area. My girls (and I) are LOVING it!

The Clem Family said...

That sounds like lots of fun! I should really take my kids to the symphony especially now that Kristin is in band and playing the the clarinet!

Post a Comment