Thursday, April 1, 2010

Art Education- All of My Worst Fears

Art Is Elementary: Teaching Visual Thinking Through Art Concepts
by Ivan Cornia, Charles Stubbs, and Nathan Winters

I love the way this book emphasizes the arts and visual thinking as an important part of education and child development. The book is currently out of print but still easy to get a hold of. I wish the basic concepts of this book could be a part of every child's education.

The text is a tiny bit dry if you were to read it in long sittings but for following the ideas as a step by step guide on guiding children from birth through level seven, the book does a great job of presenting a broad spectrum of ideas.

The introduction expresses almost exactly what I feel about the arts in education:

"The intrinsic values of art education are fundamental to the development of a productive, creative human being: therefore, a sound,successful teaching program in this field is the birthright of every child in school.
Some people ask 'Why teach art?'-assuming that art is a gift to a few and that 'either you have it or you don't. But the truth is, art can be learned like any other subject. Further, it not only can but must be learned,for it is the foundation for effective visual perception, and the development of visual perception is fundamental to learning in any field."

My children are only 2 years and 6 months but the state of the education system still keeps me up at night. I can't stop myself from worrying that there aren't enough options left that will offer them a truly well rounded education with the opportunities I want them to have. Thinking about this stresses me to no end. While charter and private schools offered "advanced academics" etc. I am worried that the humanities have been so neglected they are just seen as "extras" rather than fundamental parts of basic education.

I've recently had many opportunities to discuss my feelings on this subject with many interesting people. One of the authors of Art is Elementary was at a recent dinner party I attended. After hearing Mr. Stubbs talk about his work lobbying for the arts in children's education and what has happened in our local school system after Mr. Stubbs retired, I was particularly disturbed. He pretty much confirmed all of my worst fears.

3 comments:

Somers said...

I'm glad you found the book. I'd love to take a look at it too. And you're not alone in your nightmares of sending your children to school where who-knows-what is seen as "fundamental."

Lisa said...

Yep, it's pretty sad. Dallin does more "art" in second grade than in K and 1st combined, but it's all cutting, coloring, and glueing pre-printed things, which is NOT art to me. And music? It's nonexistent. All this focus on reading and writing, but what are you going to read and write about without music and art???

People say that you can give them all that stuff outside of school, and there isn't time in school for everything. But there isn't time outside of school for all of it either. We have literally about 2 hours in between getting home from school and dinner/bedtime routine. They have to do homework. They have to play sometime, because kids need that too. There just isn't time to cram in all the stuff they're missing in school, and they're tired anyway when they get home.

CassiLou said...

Thus, my children go to Charter school. If I could afford it they would go to private school. Actually, I take that back. NO, I wouldn't send them to private, I would STILL keep them at the school they are at. It is a wonderful school with a very well rounded program. It has been a huge blessing in our lives. Spent 4 years at our local public school and had a worse and worse experience with every year. The last year there was the kicker. IT WAS AWFUL. Especially with a child who has speech and reading delays. The kids my kids are at is THE BEST place for them. They love it and it. Their Fine Arts are amazing PLUS they have a great Academic program AND they have a full spread of Athletics, including football.

Post a Comment