Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm a Stranger Here Myself- Bill Bryson

This book is basically a collection of thoughts on moving back to the US after living abroad most of his adult life. Bryson comments on everything from the mundane to the bigger questions of liberty. I started out totally in love with this book. The first quarter of it made me laugh out loud literally. I enjoy Bill Bryson's droll humor and observations on American life. It cracks me up that he writes about the joy of having a garbage disposal and the annoying questions on the immigration paperwork. The chapter on all of the bizarre accidents Americans get into, including 142,000 visitors to the ER as a result of "clothing injuries," is hysterical. I liked his quips about the war on drugs and the cost of the FBI. His writing on the legality of snooping on people in dressing rooms, stores and work places was downright disturbing.

I did sort of run out of steam after awhile. I think because the book is a collection of newspaper articles it's hard to take all at once. It worked well for me this month because I have been too busy to read for long periods of time. I think the best way to read this book would be interspersed through a bunch of other stuff you are reading. A little light comic relief. Overall I liked it, should be fun to discuss in book club.

0 comments:

Post a Comment