Monday, January 12, 2009

National Bankruptcy Day

A United States law will go into affect on February 10th that will have a profound impact on small business and anyone with children. It is called the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act. It is a law that in essence, prohibits anyone from selling products to children under twelve without rigorous lead testing. This includes ANY products intended for use by a child. Small businesses, Etsy, E-bay, Craigslist, Freecycle, thrift stores, garage sales, even hand-me-downs are included in this measure. This testing is often prohibitively expensive and will bankrupt companies across the country. This law is also retroactive and requires all untested items to be put in a landfill. Isn't that wonderful for the environment? Write your congressman!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247.story

4 comments:

Steph said...

Looks like it's time to stock up on clothes for the next couple of years. How ridiculous. Still planning that Gymboree order this month?

Lisa said...

I will be so ticked if I'm stuck buying all my toys at Toys r Us. I buy almost exclusively online from small businesses.

Nancy said...

That's interesting. I hadnt heard about that. Seriously, some days i wonder what is going on with the world, and then I get to work on my food storage.

Nancy said...

That's interesting. I hadnt heard about that. Seriously, some days I wonder what is going on in our country, and then I get to work on my food storage.

Post a Comment