Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Is Ice And Ill

This month's sensory bin
 I didn't teach preschool last week but they talked about Thanksgiving and the letter T.  This week we talked about the letter I and doctors.  We also learned the nursery rhyme "Mother, Mother I am Ill."  We read from Things People Do and First Thousand Words in English.  We also looked at the Flip Flap Body book and talked about what doctors do.  We looked at all of our toy doctor tools.

We started our Christmas songs. We used musical instruments today to make singing time exciting. We looked at our calendar.  We talked about the letter I.  I had cut it out of bubble wrap and we spent some time tracing it with out fingers and trying to identify it in a text. 
 We built capital "I"s out of ice in trays.  We learned the difference between short and long by comparing different objects.
 We practiced our counting with new felt Christmas trees with little ornaments.  We also learned the difference between less and more.  We practiced identifying it with the tree ornaments, cups of water, piles of erasers and goldfish crackers.
Felt and glitter glue.

 We looked at pictures of the different systems in our bodies and talked about how doctors help take care of people.  Then we traced their bodies onto contractor paper and let them add whatever systems they wanted to them.  I got the idea for the bubble wrap lungs off of here.  They used masking tape for bones, glued on a heart, drew on veins and muscles with markers and do a dots.  We also sang songs like head, shoulders, knees and toes and I quized them on all of their body parts.  I"m not expecting them to remember the names of the systems/organs we learned.  Those were just to introduce them to the idea that amazing things are happening inside their little bodies.
New Fish believes our lungs should go next to our brains.

Buddy B's body.  I like how many toes he drew on.
We finished off the day by playing in the new "winter wonderland" sensory bin.  It is full of cotton, little trees, fuzzy balls, artic animals and a couple of fairies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment